Saturday, September 4, 2010

Opening up & narrowing down

Opening up: being receptive to any idea, any contribution, any desire, any instinct that occurs onstage.

Narrowing down: having the courage to select, refine, specify, commit to bold choices onstage.

I first read this description of the rehearsal process in John Barton's text, Playing Shakespeare and it has often come to mind since. Directing is the art of opening up and narrowing down. Unfortunately, directors are often experts in one and not the other. (I tend to be better at narrowing than opening. I am learning.) But in the delicate balancing game, both are needed.

Opening up: allowing the actors freedom to give input and collaborate with the director. A posture of humility from all participants that says, "I do not have all the answers to this puzzle we call the play." An attittude of courage that says, "My creative instincts are not only valid but valuable. I have something to offer."

Narrowing down: the careful processs of selecting the most specific choice that best serves the story. Giving the actors the security of clear parameters, blocking, and direction choices. An attitude that says, "there is truth to be found here, there is empowerment in making big, committed decisions."

It should also be noted that much of the art in opening up and narrowing down rests in the timing. When is it time to turn from opening to narrowing? Again, the image of a balancing game comes to mind. A turn too early may stifle creative output. Narrowing too late, leaves actors unsure, unsettled, ungrounded. A great director is sensitive to the needs of his cast and the piece (each is different) to know when it is time to turn the corner.

If art reflects life: what season am I in? Am I opening up my heart to new lessons, new hurts, new adventures, new people? Am I narrowing down, digging deeper, removing layers, seeking truth, comitting to bold decisions? Am I sensitive to the turning of these seasons, the finesse of balancing?

May I continue to learn the art of opening up and narrowing down in both directing and in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment